Jill the Acadian/Jill l'Acadienne

La vie à travers les yeux d'une Acadienne et les aspects culturels de celle-ci. Si vous voulez partager quelque chose(concert ou un endroit visité), laissez un commentaire/The life of an Acadien woman, and her cultural aspect. If you want to share something about your cultural life(show or a good place visited), leave a comment.

Google

lundi, novembre 19, 2007

Monday poetry train - Accent

So the two post for today, I wrote them like 2 years ago. This poem has already been posted on this blog before, but it was my first real post on Jill l'Acadienne. I was so mad, because my supevisor for my last praticum just said to me that my talking and writting, the french part of it, was too bad to teach. And to make thing even worst, she said it would be good to go during a session in french immersion!! I classed during my first year in university in the Langue Écrite IV(written french IV). The other post was a serie of stories beginning that I probably wrote to prove her wrong and get the frustration out!! Enjoy!!


J'ai écris ce poème après que l'on ait critiqué ardement mon accent acadien, que l'on trouvait trop prononcé. Ironie dans cela, c'est, que selon les personnes qui m'ont critiquée, frète était acceptable pour froid, mais avoire et voire ne l'étaient pas pour avoir et voir!!!

À quoi ça sert de vivre dans un monde où l’on perd nos origines
Seule chose qui nous retient au pays de nos racines
Où tout est illusion ou hypocrisie
Où l’on doit cacher la vraie essence de notre être
Où l’on perd notre accent si chaleureux et varié
Au nom d’un français plus correct
Dans un monde où l’on nous dit de se battre contre l’assimilation
Mais où il se passe dans nos salles de classe
Où les préjugés dominent
Où l’on doit calculer chaque geste que l’on fait
Où l’on doit se définir comme une seule chose
Où l’argent mène nos dirigeants
Où l’on ne sait pas se parler
Où la seule solution trouvée est les armes
Où des innocents meurent au nom de la liberté et la paix
Où on bafoue les opinions de certains
Parce que leurs différences sont trop prononcées
Où l’on néglige nos enfants
Où ces mêmes enfants ont un manque d’amour
Ceci pour avoir une bonne carrière ou être le premier


N'oubliez pas que l'on a tous des accents, peu importe d'ou l'on vient et de l'éducation que nous avons eu!! Les accents sont, et font, la richesse de notre langue!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$



I have wrote this poem after someone critize my acadian accent that was too much pronouce, according to them! the irony in all that is that they accepted frète for froid(cold) but it was not acceptable to say avoire and voire for avoir(to have) and voir(see). I'll try my best to translate this poem , but it might be hard.

What is the point to live in a world where we are loosing our origines
The only thing that link us to this our native country
Where all is illusion and hypocrisy
Where we have to hide the true nature of ourself
Where we are loosing our warn accent that has so much variety
At the glory of a better french
In a world where we fight to stop assimilation
But it happens in the classroom
Where prejudice is king
Where we have to calculate every thing we do
Where we have to define ourself to only one thing
Where money rules our rulers
Where we don't know how to speak to each other
Where the only solution is weapon
Where innocents die in the name of liberty and peace
We shut down one opinion
Where we don't take care of our children
Where our children don't have enough love
For the name of a good carreer or to be the first


Don't forget that we all have an accent , no matter where we come from and the education that we had!! Accents are the richness of a language!

Libellés : , ,

16 Comments:

  • At 10:57 p.m., Blogger Julia Phillips Smith said…

    'Where we don't know how to speak to each other
    Where the only solution is weapon
    Where innocents die in the name of liberty and peace
    We shut down one opinion'

    These are definitely my favorite lines. Since I'm currently in a situation where I need to have faith that where one door closes, another opens - I can appreciate that this annoying teacher brought you to the Poetry Train. And I'm so glad about that, Jill!

     
  • At 11:06 p.m., Blogger Jill said…

    I saw the bitch like a month ago, she came to supervise some othe student, and just seeing her was making my blood boil!!! I have to remain calm, I was working, and I don't believe in being incivilise!!

     
  • At 11:25 p.m., Blogger Ann said…

    I can relate I went to a Catholic High School (many moons ago) with a lot of South American students. One of the Spanish teachers was from Cuba (and part of the reason I took Latin). I heard stories that she wanted everyone to speak the same form of Spanish and almost flunked a boy...for speaking Castilian (a "purer" form of Spanish). Bigots, can't live with them, can't teach them anything to change.
    P.S. As always, I liked both versions. I think my reading comprehension is getting better, my pronunciation probably sucks though. :)

     
  • At 2:15 a.m., Anonymous Anonyme said…

    In India, children are te neglected lot. No one cares, not even parents..

     
  • At 3:20 a.m., Blogger Y said…

    i really enjoyed your poem. i think you know i am from alaska. my grandparents had to deal with missionarys coming here and punishing those that spoke our native language. Our language almost died because of it, but it is coming back, it is being taught in school again.
    Wonderful addition to the Poetry Train today!

     
  • At 5:55 a.m., Blogger Rhian said…

    this was awesome Jill!

     
  • At 7:25 a.m., Blogger Joy Renee said…

    i so agree with the sentiment of this poem! when conformity is mistaken for excellence the whole culture looses for the only outcome, as for a lake with no spring or river feeding it, is a stagnant pond.

    sometimes the best poems are rooted in this kind of righteous indignation.

    hang on to who you are. our individual selves is the cauldron of the creative where our unique experiences and perspectives mix with the input from the cultures we participate in. those with the good fortune to be steeped in two or more cultures have been gifted with a strong catalyst for creativity

     
  • At 7:43 a.m., Blogger Lisa Andel said…

    I couldn't have said it any better than Joy Renee said it.

    Morning Jill.

     
  • At 8:28 a.m., Blogger Sparky Duck said…

    Accents are a necissity, how can we not think southern belles are cute without the southern part

     
  • At 10:54 a.m., Blogger Jill said…

    Ann, I went to a university where half the students were in french immersion!! I did learn to embrace each accent while I was there!! I'm proud that at least your understanding got real better!! Not much I can do with the speaking!! I might post more french song, that might help!!

    Gautami, that is one of the sadest thing I've hear!!! You will need to explain this more to me!!

    Y, why were they that stupid back then?? I think every children should learn their parent first language!!

    Thank you, Rhian!! Were you counting the comments when you came??

    Joy, I will not loose my accent to get a job in the educationnal system!! That is the only part of me I can really show to my students!! The only thing, I do try not to say englissism(anglisisme, don't know it there is a translation for that word!!)

    Lisa, I know, i think she might have said it better than me!! I love it when some of my post created so much good feed back!!
    'Morning Lisa!!

    Sparky, you and your obsession with southern belle!!

     
  • At 12:48 p.m., Blogger Susan Helene Gottfried said…

    Wow, Jill. Biting stuff, here. And you're right, too.

     
  • At 3:13 p.m., Blogger T.A.Chase said…

    Very telling and truthful poem, Jill

     
  • At 4:24 p.m., Blogger Julia Phillips Smith said…

    Here is the link to my Thursday Thirteen about my ancestors. Just discovered that one of the sources of my pictures had wanted me to ask permission first before using it. Big woops. I'll send her an email and see what I can do about it.

     
  • At 4:40 p.m., Blogger Jill said…

    Susan, I just had to put all that anger and crying into something more positive!!

    TA, so truth can come out of anger??

    Julia, I will go see that tomorrow, and comment and see if there is something or someone I know in there!!

     
  • At 4:40 a.m., Blogger Sam said…

    Hear Hear!
    Bravo for the sentiments!
    I love accents - right now we're hanging out at tetes a claques, trying to work out the Canadian accents and having a blast.
    (http://www.tetesaclaques.tv/)

     
  • At 11:59 a.m., Anonymous Anonyme said…

    Thought-provoking, strong, leaves one with a pleasant resonance. I liked the French version better. In English, it's less melodic.

     

Publier un commentaire

<< Home